If you have a question about the appropriateness of a posting that you would like to make to the list, or if you have a comment or complaint about a posting that was made to the list, please contact
The Early Childhood and Parenting (ECAP) Collaborative at the University of Illinois promotes discussion of education issues in a noncommercial environment. Our Listservs exist for the exchange of information among members related to the topic of the Listserv. We encourage the exchange of information about products or services, commercial or otherwise, but not the advertising of products or services (i.e., providing information about a product for sale by a person who might benefit from the sale). ECAP has established the following points to foster discussion of education issues in a noncommercial environment:
- Only members of a list are allowed to post to the list.
- The advertising of products and services, including publications, is discouraged. (Again, here advertising means providing information about a product or service for sale by a person who will benefit from this sale.)
- Posting information about commercial or noncommercial materials that you have used and about which you want to share your opinion is appropriate and encouraged.
- Posting information about the existence of a product or publication, commercial or otherwise, that is responsive to a query on the list and that will be of general interest to the list is appropriate. However, if you have not used the item, post your message with the caveat that you have not tried the particular product or service.
- If somebody requests help on the list and you have a product or service for sale that you think would be useful, please respond to that person in a private email message. Please do not send your response to the entire list.
- We have observed that the most productive way for consultants to use Listservs is to take part in the discussions of a list. Adding to the discussion of a particular topic in a constructive, thoughtful manner can be the very best "advertising" of your services as a consultant. If you are a consultant or would like to suggest that you can consult on certain issues, you can provide information in your signature line that directs members to your own Web site or provides contact information. If you have consulting expertise that you believe would be of interest to a list member, email that person privately.
- In the interest of sharing information and providing valuable information to list members, job listings and conference announcements are welcomed.
If you have a question about the appropriateness of a posting that you would like to make to the list, or a complaint or comment about a posting that was made to the list, please contact the list owner (see the list page on the ECAP Web site for the list owner) or send an email message to the list administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ECAP will contact individuals who appear to be unaware of this policy, reminding them of our purpose. ECAP reserves the right to remove individuals from the list who continue to detract from discussion by advertising products and services.
We feel that one purpose of this list is to bring relevant new products and services to the attention of subscribers. Several people who have commented on this issue stated that one of the major reasons they subscribed is to stay abreast of new resources, particularly if the person posting the message has personally "reviewed" the resource and can comment on it, and it is relevant to the discussion. We appreciate your cooperation in helping this Listserv remain an open, noncommercial forum for discussion.